Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

Day 11

Yesterday I spent the afternoon at my sisters. I used her and her crafting expertise to help me shorten the curtains in the dining room and living room. She made short work of it. It makes me really want to get a sewing machine and learn how to use it.

The other project we accomplished was making these tow draft stoppers.
She had made one for my mother as a gift for Christmas and I thought it was quite clever and we needed one really bad for our dining room door. Just sitting in the dining area you get a wind that blows across your feet. Not any more! I was stoked to get them done. The only bad thing...I spent $3.91 at Pet Smart for the animal bedding inside. Was it a necessity? At the moment, no probably not. But I wanted to do them correctly. And with the below temperatures we are going to have this week and the wind, I believe it was money well spent. And look at how much I saved by making them. Commercial stoppers can be quite expensive. The jeans were donated by my mother, the cord and thread by my sister and I got the sand out of our sandbox. I felt really guilty about spending the money at first but I feel like it was worth it. I am sure I will save $3.91 on my electric bill for the rest of the Winter. At least, that is what I am telling myself.

So, if we have $1 a day to use for our goal, that is $30 for the month. I have spent $5.15 so far. I also went to Wal-Mart and bought 1 loaf of bread and 1 yogurt for Tony costing $1.70. So I have spent $6.85 in 11 days. So I am still on budget for our dollar a day.

2 comments:

~Maria said...

Let me know if you are in the market for a sewing machine later, I have been researching and pricing them for a while now. I'm using some of my Christmas money to get one, since I've been wanting one for so long and finally am going to take the big step to actually get one! They are not as expensive or as complicated as I always thought.

GP & GM Campbell said...

Wow still on target, you really are doing well. If I would have known your needed a sewing machine I could have let you use mine for at least 4 mos. Don't use it too often but would hate to not have one.
Love, Grandma