Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008





Poor Drew had a terrible day today. I got Brodie down for a nap after lunch (finally, he has had no nap for 3 days) and thought Drew and I could have a little fun outside. We went out to the front deck and I was snipping some flowers to put in a vase when I heard him scream. A scream so horrifying I knew there was something terribly wrong. I ran over to get him and he was at the top of the stairs with about 8 wasps swirling around him. I grabbed him and ran inside. He was crying so hard I couldn't tell where all he had gotten stung. They started to welt and I counted 5 stings. 2 on his ear, 1 on his forehead and 2 on his hand. It was awful.

I ended up calling My Nurse, just to make sure there wasn't anything I was forgetting. I always second guess myself when it comes to my own kids. She told me what to watch for and to put a mixture of baking soda and water on the welts to neutralize the venom. I did that and it seemed to work pretty well. I also gave him washcloths soaked in ice water and he held them on his ear and head. It was so sad. We just snuggled in the chair the rest of the afternoon.

Will came home and found a huge wasp nest right under the railing. He must have grabbed onto the post next to it. So, needless to say that nest is gone.

Then while I was gone this afternoon with Jake he fell outside with Will and hit his nose on the deck. He got a pretty good bloody nose out of that ordeal. Will said it was good I wasn't home to witness that. I swear, if it is going to happen it happens to Drew. He is going to be the toughest boy I know.

On a lighter note, Will's friend arrived safely this afternoon. He will be staying with us until Monday. They have had a good time catching up and plan to go to a Cubs game tomorrow night. I took Jake this afternoon up to school to drop off his school supplies and find his locker and new classrooms. That was pretty exciting. He changes rooms for every class this year. Something he hasn't experienced yet. It took me about an hour to get him out of there. He was happy to see all his buddies and some of the teachers from last year. I was happy for him. He is such a good kid.


4 comments:

Jill said...

Poor Drew- that just breaks your heart!

Anonymous said...

You're right, he's a tough little guy. We miss all of the boys. Can't wait to see you all.
Anita

Sara P. said...

Awww, poor sweetie! Give him a hug for me!

juliecache said...

Dude, I thought was going to be me this morning. I wanted to divide my coreopsis (tickseed) so I dug a place in the backyard and .... yellowjackets!