Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Our Vacation~Day 2

Day 2 started off with Will, Joel, and Jake getting up early to go fishing. The little boys and I woke up shortly after they left and immediately went outside to play. There was no keeping them in. With a cabin right on the lake you can imagine it didn't take long for them to get in the water. Most of our days started like this. I always had good intentions of keeping them dry for at least the first hour of the day, but we never made it that far. They had more fun playing in the sand and water than anything else. Brodie brought his construction trucks so he had a great time playing in the sand and dirt with them.

Jake and Tony spent time in and out of the water playing guns and searching for treasures. We had a "no electronics" rule so they weren't able to play video games or watch any TV or movies.

There was a lot of fishing this day. We fished off the dock, from the boat, and off the bridge. I was able to go out on the boat that evening with Jake, Joel, and Will. We caught a ton of bass and blue gill. The last fish of the night was caught by me. A 27 inch, 7 1/2 pound dogfish. The infamous dogfish. A fish I have wanted to catch my whole life and many times had on my line but was unable to land him. This one ever so quietly latched onto my line and just swirled on top of the water waiting for Joel and Jake to get the net. It was a cluster of events trying to get that net to catch him. But this fish just patiently waited, almost as if it wanted to be caught. Very atypical for this type of fish who will usually do anything to get away. When we got it into the boat a rush of emotion overwhelmed me. I had been asking all day for a sign. A sign to tell me that my grandparents were there with me. There watching over us. I caught this fish and all I could think of was a conversation I had with my grandpa the last year we came to the lake with him. Jake had caught the dogfish that year and I was ranting about how jealous I was of him cause I had been trying a whole lot longer than him and I remember my grandpa saying to me "Don't worry Sara, someday you will have your turn catching the dogfish".

I finally did. And I got my sign.




1 comment:

juliecache said...

Welcome to the dogfish club! And quit making me cry with your journaling, dammit.