Monday, August 10, 2009

Strawberry Patch

A gift from my husbands Aunt Marie. 16 strawberry starts.The old strawberry patch.The new strawberry patch.Last Monday I spent the better part of the day digging up 18 more inches of sod to make room for more strawberry plants! My husbands aunt was thinning her plants out and I couldn't turn any away so I made room for more!

They are looking a little on the sickly side so I am hoping they will spring back to life by next year.

My goal is to dig a trench all the way around the berries and put wood around to enclose the patch. This will contain the patch in a big wooden "box". Then I want to put some sort of stepping stone through the middle so I have something to step on so that I can pick the berries with out squishing them. Then, maybe I can roll some chicken wire over the top of it to keep the deer out.

Another project for Fall. After my chicken coop, of course :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The chicken coop is the next big project! Yay! Once the deck is done, hear come the chickens. Can't wait.

Mom B.