Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2008





We had a wonderful weekend. Friday we spent all day outside. I worked in the garden transplanting some peppers that were getting overrun with tomato branches. Our garden is doing great and we have lots of produce growing. I have quite a few cucumbers and melons as well as brussel sprouts and tomatoes.

Will got the area around the big pine tree in the back cleaned up. We lost that pine this Spring and Will got it cut down and we burned it this weekend. We will be burning it for awhile I think. While cleaning up the mess around the tree we came upon a bunny den. We didn't know what to do with it at first. Will thought we should just postpone the burning. I wasn't a big fan of that idea. Once we get something started it is hard for me to quit. So, I was left with the dilemma of what to do with the bunnies. We had already disrupted their home. So, I of course, googled what to do with a bunny den. I learned that if we move the den within 10 feet of the original den then the mother should be able to find them. So, that is what we did. We built a new den under the bush in the back yard and reconstructed the original den using the pine needles and the bunny fur that was covering the babies. There werre 4 bunnies. 3 had their eyes open. They seemed to take to the new nest and I covered them up with needles and sticks. I haven't checked to see if they are still there. I didn't want to scare them any more. I am sure it will come back to bite me because they will get bigger and feast in my garden. But, I couldn't just leave them there to be cooked by our fire and I didn't feel right just throwing them in the gully to be eaten by the wild animals. I figured at least I tried. I felt good about moving them.

Friday night we hung out with some friends and had a good time playing Rock Band, grilling and lighting off Morning Glories and sparklers. The weather was beautiful. Saturday we went to the Farmer's Market, got some house work done, and then went up to Will's parents to spend the night. We went to the lake up by their place and fished Saturday night and then went back to the house and watched the fireworks from their garage. Sunday morning Will, Joel, and Jake went fishing in the boat. They caught some fish this time. We ate a picnic lunch with them at the lake and then went back to the house and played a game of cards before we came home. We briefly stopped at home and then headed to my Dad's house where we celebrated my grandma's birthday. They kid's had a blast there playing with their cousins shooting squirt guns and water balloons. Now, I am exhausted and I am off to bed. Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a great writer and can make it so interesting. I loved the bunny story. I was curious about Brodie catching his first fish. What, no picture?
Last night was a great family time. I know it gets a little hectic, but they're only young once.
Love ya, Anita

Frugal Sara said...

ohhh the fish picture is coming!