Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Preserving for Winter

I am getting a good stash of winter produce. I used my new pressure canner last week to can 25 pints of corn. I bought 4 dozen ears and the kids helped me shuck it all. Then Will helped me cut it all off the cob. Add this 25 to my 30 I did a few weeks ago and that gives me a grand total of 55 pints. This should last me till next year. I am thinking I can officially stop buying canned corn from the store.I have been harvesting lots of tomatoes, onions, peppers and zucchini from the garden. I froze 10 cups of onions, 6 cups of shredded zucchini, 6 cups of cubed zucchini, and a few bags of green peppers. Looks like I will be making lots of stew and stir fry this winter.Today I canned 9 quarts and 1 pint of tomatoes. I picked another large bowl of tomatoes this afternoon. Hoping to make salsa out of this batch. I really want to can some greenbeans. We are not fans of fresh greenbeans, we actually prefer them from a can. I know, weird right? So I am hoping that if I can some beans they will taste like the store bought ones. Now I just need to find some.

No comments: