Sunday, June 12, 2011

Minnesota Vacation Part 1

We just got back from our yearly trip to Ten Mile Lake in Minnesota. We had a wonderful time. I have many pictures to share so I am going to break it up into a couple different posts.

The last few years we have gone up to the cabin with Will's parents. Will's mom was involved in a severe car accident about a month ago and has been battling a leg infection. Up until the last minute we weren't sure she was going to be able to go with us. Thankfully the doctor gave her the ok and we were so excited that they were going to be able to join us. We decided to head out separately and just keep tabs with each other along the way. Tony went up the night before and was just going to ride with them so that it gave us a little more room in the van.

Will loaded the boat and van the night before. We woke up at 5am and left the house at 6:15am. Everyone was excited to head North! 403 miles to our destination.We pulled over a few times to make a few adjustments to the boat and arrived in Clear Lake about 100 miles North. We stopped at Denny's, our usual breakfast spot and ate. During dinner we got a phone call from Will's step dad that they would be delayed. The had gotten on the road and started out and then they recieved a call that Jenny, Will's sister had fallen in the back yard and was unable to get up. So, mom, Joel and Tony turned around and headed back to the house. It was worse than they thought and ended up having to call an ambulance to come get Jen. After arriving at the hospital and doing some x-rays they realized she has dislocated her hip and was going to need to be transferred to Des Moines for treatment. We weren't sure if Mom and Joel would even be joining us now and since they had Tony we needed to get him with us.

So, we turned around and headed back south to meet them at the hospital.

We got to the hospital and were able to visit with Jen who was ok, but in a lot of pain. They were getting ready to transfer her to Des Moines to put her hip back in place. We stayed for a bit and then gathered Tony and his things and hit the road again. It was now 11:30.

It was a long day. We hit Cabela's in Owatona Minnesota and walked around a bit and the boys each picked out a toy gun. We usually spend more time there but since it was so late we made it a quick trip.

We hit the road again and eventually the van got quiet as 4 of the 5 kids fell asleep.
We finally arrived at the lake about 8:30pm. It was a very looong trip. Our 400 mile journey turned into 600 miles. The kids did really well considered we were on the road for 14 hours. We got unpacked and were even able to have a small fire in the fire pit before heading to bed.

No comments: